Re: Re: 14 is a magic number [moved from HERO WARS]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:22:40 -0800

> that leaves Delecti's zombies pretty vulnerable, unless
>
> a. the narrator rules that "kill undead" is only useful to augment
> and/or
> b. Delecti enchants all his creatures, thereby raising the resistance
>
> while b. is ok by me [though a bit "tweaky"],
> I don't get around a. [still, after 2 years :(

"Fight Undead" (the real name of the feat) doesn't work as a Mystic Strike (and I don't want to open *that* can of worms, either!) making all undead fall apart at one touch of the Humakti's sword; it simply lowers the Resistance that the Zombie has to the Humakti. The skeletons/zombies/etc will still *attack* with 2w or whatever their skill is, so they may be able to swarm even a Humakti party (those losing many undead in the mean time, but hey, there are always more corpses...) Even members of the Indrodar Greydog subcult, with all their Destroy Undead magics, aren't invulnerable to zombies, they just have an easier time killing them (just stack the appropriate feat as an augment to "Kill Undead"...). Note that Humakti don't have "Detect Undead" magics, so an ambush by zombies/skeletons will allow the Undead to start with their full AP (or maybe more...), so it may still yake a while for the Humakti to chop them up.

There is a big distinction between "I can kill you" and "You can't hurt me" - Humakti are all pretty much in the "I can hurt you" camp, with much less magic to soak up damage from opponents. Orlanth Adv. has Armor of Woad and Leaping Shield as defensive magics, Humakt and Urox are pretty much all offense.

> when does a narrator rule "that feat augments, and this works as
> stand-alone <feat>"

There are very few feats that are "Augment only" - Even Swordhelp might conjure a magical blade, allowing a warrior to fight "Sword and Shield" instead of taking a improv. penalty for fighting without a sword.

The Narrator should look to the story and the use the ability is being used for, and apply penalties if something seems way out of whack: "I use my 'Swordhelp' feat to augment my 'Spear and Shield' Close Combat." "Okay, but it is really meant for Swords, so you have a -5 penalty to your affinity before you try to augment."

or
"I use my 'Locate Lost Soul' to see if there are any Lhankhor Mhy followers out there" "Nope, I'm not going to allow it unless you tell me how it applies". (Now, if Iggy Issaries *can* give you a reason that "Locate Lost Souls" might be used to locate L.Mhy, let him go for it.)

Roderick