Re: Re[2]: Re: 14 is a magic number

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 11:03:52 +0000

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 22:05:50 +0100, stefan.drawert_at_... wrote:

>Wulf> Shieldbreaker: succeed in Close Combat then (as part of the same
>Wulf> action, but INSTEAD OF any AP loss) use Shieldbreaker.

Incidently, I might even be prepared to allow AP damage to be inflicted, but require a wound (7 AP trade or Grievous) to 'activate' the feat's special effect.

>hmmm, I think that would work, [more or less] it's even the way I use
>to handle that kind of action.
>but still I'm curios if we face the usual
>"here you've got some basic rules - use & tweak them as required"
>or if there's an "official" procedure hidden [in the sentences of Hero
>Wars]

I agree the rules as presented are bereft of any internal solutions, read as printed they are boring and repetitive. Everything is either an Augment or it takes off AP in an Extended Contest. The names are really irrelevant, the rules just move numbers around with no special effects other than on a few Secrets. House rules are necessary to create any sort of atmosphere or image of a fantasy reality.

This, of course, appears to be a deliberate design philosophy, but hopefully HW2 will give more guidance and examples to help.

Wulf