Re: 14 is a magic number [moved from HERO WARS]

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 16:13:28 -0000

Well, if they are initiates they would not normally be augmenting with the feat, they'd be augmenting with the affinity. If they are devotees they have the choice of augmenting with the feat (and personally I'd give a penalty to that unless they had a good explanation, perhaps calling out their prayer to Humakt so that their foe knew what they were trying for), or using the feat directly. If using the feat directly, I think I'd insist on a big bid. As in:

player: "wow, his close combat is really high, but I haven't seen much magic from him. I attack with 'decapitate foe' bidding 5AP." narrator: "5AP would be good for 'give foe a nasty bruise.' C'mon this is aiming for snicking the guy's head off in one shot, go big or switch feats."
player: "OK, OK, 'decapitate foe' with a bid of, ummm, 37 AP, that should take him down to -1."
*rolls happen*
narrator: "not bad, you succeed, taking him down to -1 AP...you wound up and struck a mighty blow for his neck, but he got the edge of his shield in the way. You smashed the rim of his shield into his windpipe, possibly crushing it, and he's on the ground clawing at his throat."

In all honesty though, I think that is a feat best used for colourful flourishes, or for finishing off foes with weird recovery talents (chaotic, magical, whatever).

Regards;

Bryan