Re: Re: 14 is a magic number [moved from HERO WARS]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:41:51 -0800

> > Basically, no feat is a "Strike" (ie, ends the contest
> > in one shot, one way or another). Some may allow you to
> > do un-natural things (Fly, Run on Treetops, etc), but
> > in any extended contest there will be AP bids, and even
> > "Decapitate Foe" won't instantly kill if APs don't drop
> > to the right level.
>
> My reading of the strike rules is somewhat different...
>
> A strike can be successful in that it reduces the target's APs
> without activating the special effect. The strike's special effect
> only activates when the target's APs go below 1.

Yes, that is true, but *usually* a Strike will be a Contest ender because if the Attacker fails, he's bid all his AP, and if he wins, he (probably) has enough AP to bring his opponent down.

My use of the word "Strike" was in its capacity to decide the contest in one shot, not in any formal sense of the strike mechanics, my apologies. A "Decapitate Foe" feat will not kill the opponent *unless* he is brought to -31 AP, and it will normally be resisted by the opponent's Close Combat, not 14. (I *might* rule that a Parting Shot using Decapitate is obviously a Coup de Grace, and give the 14 resistance - it would depend on how I felt at the moment :-) ).

RR