Re: Following the Leader....

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

> I would have expected that many Clan Chiefs are / become Devotees of
> this cult - they are, after all, in a position where they are already
> going to be supported by the clan, and I would imagine the cross over
> between "doing their job" and "attending to cult duties" is very high.
>
> The problem appears to be (unless I have misunderstood Thunder
> Rebels) that although the Orlanthi can change fairly freely from
> initiation into one subcult to another, they do not have the same
> freedom of movement once they become a devotee...

I would say that if you're a devotee of another Orlanth subcult, then becoming a Dar-ist is getting into "normal progression" territory, in a way vaguely similar to the progression in the Women's Circle. While clearly statistically less common, there's something "expected" about going from being an Orlanthi Warrior (say) to an Orlanthi Chief.

An interesting nuance is if you can be both at once. This would be contrary to the existing rules, but it doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable to treat the chiefly abilities as "freebies". Just like getting a stack of new ability cards in a LARP when you become chief. ;-)

> Are retiring or deposed Clan Chiefs visited by Dar's agents of
> reprisal as they become ineligible for their devotee status?

They'd basically quietly "revert" to their previous status, I think.

> Or is Dar recognised as some sort of "Special case"?

Isn't everything?

Cheers,
Alex.