Re: Becoming a Devotee

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:26:20 -0800

> >It wouldn't make sense if a Devotee of Issaries or any of the Orlanth
> >Allfather subcults couldn't make enough money to feed themselves. Or
> >an Orlanthcarl Devotee be unable to grown enough to eat.
>
> Thunder Rebels p69: "To spend so much time at worship, a person must
> have some outside source of support or income." That MIGHT mean he
> can't feed himself, it might mean he cannot fulfil his OTHER daily
> duties - helping others in the fields, serving his family, hearth or
> bloodline, maybe he's even excused guard duty from the fyrd.

Many cults are "Provider" cults, so Devotion to the cult includes working in the fields, fishing, hunting, or herding, meaning that a devotee of, say, Ormalayla or Barntar is expected to support himself as part of his "Cult Time". He has expanded duties during cult ceremonies, and is probably expected to be "on call" for emergencies ("our herd has been scattered to the four winds, quick, get Otto the Orolmarn devotee!"). He will, however, expect to be compensated for his efforts - nothing is "free" except the winds :-)

Issaries and the "craft" cults aren't quite providers, but the members of those cults can provide for themselves by making items and trading them to providers. The "Outside support" in this case is an income from selling/trading - you have to have a market to trade in. The clan brewermaster isn't able to "make food" directly, but he & his family probably won't starve, either.

Humakt, Lankhor Mhy, Chalana Arroy, most of the subcults of O. Thunderous and Adventurous, and the other specialty cults can't support themselves by direct cult action, so they have the "Outside support" requirement. Mostly they will be supported by the chief of the clan/tribe or by a thane.

(Of course, rogue cultists make a liveing by intimidation and threats - Storm Bullies and Valindings can easily run a protection racket: "Nice fields you got out there, it would be a shame if they were covered in ice...", but that is still "outside support", though begrudged.)

RR