Re: Is this Hero Wars is dead. Long live Heroquest?

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:47:20 -0000

>> Checking the minimal FAQ link, I learn that Heroquest is NOT Hero
Wars 2nd Edition, but uses the the Hero Wars rules, or at least is based on them.
  1. I know nothing
  2. Here is my intepretation.

Heroquest uses the mechanics (i.e. the system designed by Robin Laws) first shown in Hero Wars, though improved. However whereas a 2nd edition only implies fixes, corrections etc to the original text, this is a rewrite to make those rules clearer,better, presented in a different form as well as to provide introductory information on Glorantha for new fans (and Hero Wars did acquire people new to Glorantha, who found the setting daunting). I guess it is also a way for Issaries to mark out a fresh start void of the quality problems that befouled Hero Wars. So yes, this is still a version of Robin Laws rules for playing in Greg Stafford's Glorantha, with which existing Hero Wars supplements are compatible, but no, its not just a typographically corrected reprint.

The implication is also there that Issaries are willing to publish supplements set in other era's of Glorantha. Which is cool, 'cos I have some ideas, and seeing as Tradetalk is promising an edition of playing the 1st age, so do other people.