Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:37:56 +0800

At 1:44 PM +0000 10/4/02, nichughes2001 scribbled:

>> Well, its bad luck for those Humakti who can't participate in
>> ambushes. But yes, it makes the advantage of time to prepare to be
>> quite overwhelming for those with high affinities. And I agree its
>> bad thing.
>

>Conversely it allows devotee heroes with powerful single-minded magic
>to be potentially very good indeed at the thing they are single-
>minded about.

        The problem is that it stresses the single minded (at loophole exploitation) over the actually powerful.

        In other words, a powerful single minded magic hero should be powerful because they have a high ability value, not due to a quirk of the game system and a set of feats with a great deal of overlap.

        Hero Wars game balance is among the simples to maintain of any game - make abilities of roughly equal value, and the game is balanced. Its that simple. Affinities and such have a high value because they are more useful, so people will tend to put more points into them - the end effect is to maintain affinities at roughly equal to other abilities.

        This multiple augments thing throws that for an utter loop. Its a distortion in the wrong way.

        Put it this way - when heroes clash, do you really think the contest should be determined by which one gets an extra round of augmentation?

> Which seems to me to be a good thing, even if it might
>have some real game-balance implications.

        Its subtly wrong. But still wrong.

>It is no more or less unbalancing than the cumulative effects of
>spirit fetishes/integrated spirits, some of which don't even require
>the hero to be exploiting a major tactical advantage.

        Spirit fetishes and integrated spirits are raised separately - its not an analogous case.

        Having lots of abilities that can augment is not much of a problem if they are raised separately - raising abilities in order to use them to augment is not an efficient strategy. Having a single ability that can augment multiple times is another kettle of fish entirely.

>It does tend to mean the the best fighter in the land could still get
>badly beaten if they are tactically incompetent - whether that is a
>bad thing depends on taste.

        Its advantage is large enough that it reduces 'tactical competence' to a single variable (rounds of prep) once affinities get high enough. Which is a pretty unusual taste.

	Cheers
		David