Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:37:31 +0100

David Cake wrote:
> Hero Wars game balance is among the simples to maintain of
> any game - make abilities of roughly equal value, and the game is
> balanced. Its that simple. Affinities and such have a high value
> because they are more useful, so people will tend to put more points
> into them - the end effect is to maintain affinities at roughly equal
> to other abilities.
> This multiple augments thing throws that for an utter loop.
> Its a distortion in the wrong way.

It does not. In fact, the affinities are arguably too expensive, not too cheap, if used only for augmenting (unfortunately the case for many of the Combat affinities, especially the Humakt ones). As my analysis showed, the cost of increasing the affinities of the Humakti in question was about five times the cost of increasing his/her Close Combat. A more power gaming cost effective method of being a combat monster would have been to have spent those points on Close Combat.

> Put it this way - when heroes clash, do you really think the
> contest should be determined by which one gets an extra round of
> augmentation?

Why not, if its done in an interesting way? Last week, my character augmented using her Leaping Shield feat to have her shield parry for her while she desperately wielded her sword two handed (that Draugr is TOUGH). Why shouldn't she win because she has done so? Otherwise its back to 'I attack with my sword', 'He parries with his shield'.