Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:40:26 +0100

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:18:04 -0000, you wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>
>We have begun to encounter some obscene augmentation and I wanted to
>check
>with this group to see what they thought.
>
>Here is the situation:
>
>Hu Devotee.
>Sword Affinity 10w3
>Death Affinity 5w2
>Close Combat 7w3
>
>Given time to prepare the Humakti can raise his close combat to
>18w6!!!
>
>Here is how:
>
>Sword 10w3 (Decapitating Blow) vrs +5 Augment (5w difficulty)
> 75% of complete victory = +10 augment
>
>Repeat:
>Cut Deep (+10)
>Great Blow (+10)
>Sword Help (+10)
>True Sword (+10)
>
>Death 5w2 (Shield Destroyer) vrs +5 Augment (5w difficulty)
> 75% chance victory = +5 augment
>
>Repeat:
>Weapon Destroyer (+5)
>
>Add Death Song Berserk (5w2 / 4 = +11)
>
>7w3 +10+10+10+10+10+5+5+11 = 18w6.
>
>Now, we can't decide if this is a true depiction of how deadly a hero
>that has time to
>prepare can be - or if this represents a broken system. For the time
>being we are
>assuming the former.

I am certainly inclined to believe that a single ability can only augment once. You can certainly use a Death Affinity to Augment Close combat, but not then use the same affinity (even a different feat) to augment the same ability.

I have some doubts about using different abilities to Augment the same ability. I'd be happy to allow Death Affinity and Lightning Reflexes at the same time, but I don't see that Death, Close Combat and Sword can all be crackling up and down the same sword at the same time.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac