RE: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:06:52 +0100

Roderick twits me:

> Well, really my take on the matter was "that's a problem?" Sorry, Nick,
> but your clever summaries of the text have little to do with what Peter
> or I actually said.

(which introduces a three-augment maximum for pre-contest prep, and the notion of imposing "time penalties" beyond that)

        and

(which introduces a new rule of thumb for NPC initiates, the idea that octuple-augments require rituals outside of combat, and the caveat that if your players overdo their augmentation prep, why, so too will their foes!)

Me, I call that "hand-waving". I'm delighted to accept, however, that this advice wasn't responding to a perceived problem.

> I can see a case for restricting the number of feats a player can use to
> "power up" before a combat (3 feats or so).

Me too. I'd say "1 feat per affinity", approx = "3 feats or so".

> I see nothing wrong with a clever character augmenting with everything
> under the sun.

I find it boring, myself, but I know we will disagree about this (cf. your enthusiasm for repeated Arming of Orlanth rituals -- do they maybe run that during the main credits in your gaming sessions? :-)

Also, my main objection (as a clever character like yourself cannot fail to have noticed) is to a character augmenting obsessively with the same bloody affinity, time and again, world without end. Not "everything under the sun"!