Re: When does the contest begin?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:28:08 +0100

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:35:31 -0700, "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_sierratel.com> wrote:

>> I really like this basic idea, that some action or condition ends the
>> augmentation period, rather than any arbitrary numeric limit. But I
>> can't think how it works in terms of a time, rather than action,
>> limited situation.
>
>You can have however many augments as you can cram in before one side says:
>"And now I present my case to the the jury and lawspeakers" or "I order the
>Phalanxes forward" and roll a non-augment action.

Yes, that's OK, but only works player vs player unless the Narrator is actually looking for a pre-determined result.

>If it's not a player-vrs player battle, the narrator can impose a "augment
>limit" simply by cutting to the chase and declaring "Oddi steps forward and
>submits his plea to the Lawspeakers"

The arbitrary limit again. I'd prefer some sort of ability for the player's success to extend their successes - "we got through that lot so fast, we still have time to spare!" - not just hoping the narrator has pre-set a high allowed number of die rolls.

Wulf