Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:09:17 +0100

David Cake wrote:
> Has anyone but you been implying that multiple month complex
> terrorist plots of global importance should be represented by a
> single extended contest, and we should determine the rules for normal
> close combat based on this?
> No.

Actually, to some degree, I have, in starting the thread 'When does the contest begin?'.

> I'd probably pass it as an edge augment. Double dipping thus
> is bad for game balance always

I think it comes down to cost effectiveness. If a player can use an ability twice, that makes the ability more valuable. If that extra value is offset by extra cost, game balance can be preserved. Affinities cost more to increase; presumably the game designers made this so because they *recognised* that allowing multiple augments from an affinity made affinities more valuable that simple abilities.

If you make affinities less valuable, you should also make them cheaper.

> should being a
> devotee make ambushes vastly more devastating? You haven't really
> addressed that point at all.

Yes, if you are a powerful devotee of a DEATH and COMBAT god. The example that triggered this thread is not merely 'a devotee'; the character has had over 250 HP spent on it.