Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:43:17 -0000

Those feats overlap because the god is single-minded. At the levels we are talking about here the hero is beginning to embody the god when they do this much augmentation, so embodying a god with a singleminded  dedication to death and combat should be different to embodying one with a whole range of powers and interests (and fewer overlapping feats).

> Put it this way - when heroes clash, do you really think the
> contest should be determined by which one gets an extra round of
> augmentation?

One extra round of augmentation would probably only be about +10 which might tip the balance but is not overwhelming given the cost of getting affinities that high. Magic is supposed to be powerful in Glorantha, especially at these levels (contrast with augmentation at abilities lower than 10W which is pretty ineffective and unreliable).

When heroes clash I think the one who best embodies their god through their magic should probably win, which in terms of game mechanics may mean the one with the most augments but in narrative terms means the one who has performed the better Arming of $DEITY ritual. All other things being equal then the one who embodies the most warlike god should have the decisive advantage in a straight clash of arms.

At these levels the magic is becoming more important than the mundane skill, given the number of HP spent (or heroquests performed) to have access to that magic I don't happen to think that this is unbalancing.

YGMV etc.

--
Nic