Re: Limiting Augmentation (WAS: a flame war)

From: charlescorrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:09:41 -0000

> I am, much against my little power-gaming voices,
> being tempted by the dark side of one Augment per
> Affinity per action (you could, if you could
> stand the bookkeeping, have more Augments active,
> but unused on that Action). All FEATS would be
> used stand-alone.

In our group we do allow multiple feats from a single affinity to augment/enhance. Our characters have some magical abilities, particularly affinities, between 10W and 6W2. The limit placed on this is that we only allow one "automatic" augment from an ability that can reasonably be described as "always on" e.g. strong or tough. All further augments take an action.

Unless we get the chance for serious preparation (and this does happen once every 6 weeks or so, maybe) we do not have the time to seriously use this. When we have had time for serious preparation*, it has been in the context of a ritual - our Summons of Evil was great fun and gratifying to achieve**.

I would be happy with the kind of rule of thumb that, unless you have time to create/enact a ritual, you cannot have much more than about three augments before a contest starts as the first augment will be close to expiry as you roll for the 4th etc.. Sometimes I might argue it should be 2, sometimes 5 - depends on the needs of the story, the narrator and the players.

Within the contest, of course, if a character wants to spend actions on further augments then that is a tactical issue of their choice.

regards,
Charles