Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:18:09 +0800

At 8:03 AM +0000 12/4/02, nichughes2001 scribbled:

>> This shows a bit of a misunderstanding - +10 is just as
>> important a difference, no matter HOW high the abilities are.
>>

>i.e. Augments do not scale linearly as they are decisive at high
>levels and largely ineffective at low levels even between otherwise
>balanced opponents. Even the unwritten guideline of 3 augments for
>an ambush can be crippling at high level yet is no big deal for
>starting characters. Perhaps this is broken but I tend towards the
>opinion that it is a deliberate design decision.

        I tend to agree that the non-linearity of augments is a design decision, and basically OK. I think that this particular issue is non-linear in worse and more unbalancing ways.

> Similarly I can see that multiple improvised feats would be a bad
>thing if allowed (I do not believe they are) but I think that
>limiting to one augment per affinity penalises devotees of gods with
>single-minded powers at the expense of multiple initiates who put the
>same effort into their divine ties yet would get twice the possible
>number of augments.

        The non-linearity is an issue. Hence, lets limit it to edges.

> > I want the value of an ability to be based on the level of an
>> ability. Is that so shocking?
>
>Not at all, although I suspect it was a design decision to allow
>magic to dominate at the higher levels because that seems to be what
>the rules were designed for.

	I think its certainly a factor.
	My issue is not so much that magic is dominant, but that the
wrong variables are dominant. I have no problem with ability levels in augmenting affinities being a major factor in deciding a contest. I do have a problem with the less important variables of number of feats and rounds of preparation being more decisive factors than ability level.

> Before looking too hard for fixes I
>think we should bear in mind that this example was a fairly special
>case (a set piece duel with effectively unlimited time to augment
>beforehand) rather than the sort of thing that is going to crop up
>very often.

        It is pretty much too dominant to not be a major play theme as presented, though. The are talking about more than 3 levels of mastery here, where 1 is a decisive fight winner!

	Cheers
		David