Re: Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:36:37 +0100

Terry Harvey-Chadwick wrote:
> my preferred way of using affinities and feats are
> to use affinities for augments and feats for "special moves". Doing
> things this way, my games don't get these problems with player
> characters "powering up" to monsterous levels.

Terry, NO GAMES have reported problems (note plural) with player characters powering up to monstrous levels. One group reports one particular situation that they were concerned about. It was not a general problem with augmentation. So yours is yet another fix for a non existent problem.

> Of course, some feats
> are obviously designed to give you an augmentation, such as [Weapon]
> Help, but I cannot see how a narrator could allow a player character to
> use all feats in an affinity to only provide bonuses, such that a
> player character could raise his skill by a mastery or more.

Note that almost any 'special move' can be used as an aid (translation: augmentation) during a contest. A Vingan can use Run on Treetops to travel in an unconventional way, or as and aid during combat in a wood:

   'I repeatedly attack with my sword, darting from cover in trees then leaping back again, running around on the treetops to gain a good position.' --- which sounds like an attempt to gain a bonus. Different wording could change the emphasis. giving an offensive edge ('... darting from cover... gain a good position') of defensive edge ('... leaping back again...'). Being able to use feats for special moves, edges and bonus as the situation and intent dictates is a good feature.

> If the players and narrator stay within the spirit of the game,
> actually using affinities and feats as they are described, the game
> balances itself. I cannot see it happening any other way, and in the
> year or so of playing Hero Wars with my group, we've never come across
> any of the "problems" described in this discussion so far.

Quite. So why introduce an unnecessary house rule?

> I think it might be a good idea for everyone to go
> back and re-read some of the rules, and the descriptions of the various
> feats and affinites... you will get a nice 50/50 split
> between bonus and edge augments. Hey presto: a balanced game.

Except, if someone regards rolling 8 augments to gain a +W3 bonus to be unbalancing and/or boring, is that person really likely to find rolling 8 augments to gain a +120 edge OK? I think the heart of this problems is not augments, or feats, its having *8* augments (or even more, if the Narrator and players can stand the boredom) for free.