Re: Magical Augments - A little extreme?

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 02:49:09 +0800

>> And the reason why is simple. The edge
>> doesn't come into effect unless you WIN. A huge
>> edge allows you beat an opponent that you will
>> already beat quickly and brutally, and greatly
>> increases your chance of beating someone that
>> is your relative equal. But it doesn't allow
>> you to beat an opponent that has a huge
>> advantage over you in ability.
>> Try it - 10w3^120 will still lose to
>> 10w5, but 10w6 will beat 10w5.
>
>That kind of edge does make a much bigger difference than you might
>realise. All it takes is for 10w5 to roll a 20 (fumble bumped to
>success) and and 10w3 to roll a 10 (success) or better. That's a 1
>in 40 chance.

        Sure. I think a 1 in 40 chance is pretty decent - it gives you enough chance to be interesting, but not enough to make you want to try it unless you are desperate.

> With that number of APs, it is likely that the
>contest will last longer than 4 rounds...

	Not if the guy with the big advantage knows what he is doing!
	And besides - that outrageous exchange that defies the odds
is what HPs are for.

>And if the edge is defensive rather than offensive - so that the edge
>is subtracted from the 10w3's forfeits and transfers to 10w5 BEFORE
>multipliers - then the odds move hugely in favour of the 10w3 (note
>that the subtraction cannot reduce a forfeit or transfer below 1).

	Not that hugely - you still wouldn't like to count on it.
	Any w5 hero worth their salt would be dealing with it -
risking the small odds of failure to nail you with a huge bet, changing the ability to it doesn't matter (ie hitting you with their magic so your huge sword affinity doesn't help), etc.

        A huge edge does pretty much what I would like to see out of the narrative in such a situation. They are dangerous, but still not guaranteed to win against someone with much greater skill - like a novice warrior wielding a chainsaw.

        I realise a big edge still does increase your chance against someone much better than you, but SO much less than an equivalent bonus.

        Remember the comparison - no matter how you slice it, its a LOT harder for the w3^120 to beat w5 than it is for the w6 guy to beat w5.

	Cheers
		David