Re: augmented obscenity.

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:06:50 EDT

Alex writes:
<< An ideal mechanical solution, IMO, would be an augmentation mechanic  that gives 'diminishing returns' rather than 'escalating returns'.  That would be a pretty major thing to do, though, and I don't have  a rule I'm 100% happy with even for my own purposes, so never mind...

I find it a bit odd that some minor ability could increase your superwibble ability by as much as it increases some other minor ability. I have a relatively straightforward idea which I admit not using yet as my players are still all fairly low level.

The basic idea is to add the ability, or perhaps target number, being augmented to the resistance of the augment. This pretty much kills augments except where the augmenting ability is much better than the one that it is augmenting. It might be easier to calculate if you reduced your augmenting ability by the ability that you are augmenting.

This also leads to a built-in accumulation of resistance to subsequent augments.

Keith