Re: Digest Number 883

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:16:52 EDT

In a message dated 14/04/02 18:13:13 GMT Daylight Time, hw-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< I think that the real core of this sometimes heated debate is not a  rules issue but our varied wants for gaming in Glorantha. >>

This point though, could reasonably be made about almost any discussion on a rules list. (Discussion rather than rules clarification). The argument is not really about whether we want games where Harrek is not too hard to kill or games where a rubble runner is a threat, but whether Harrek is easy to kill because we have hearty augments, or if a rubble runner could kill him because it has three weeks to prepare itself. It is not about whether the rules specify how many dice you need to roll to resolve something (they don't, it depends on the story) but whether the rules "force" you to act in some manner that isn't in the interests of excitement. (eg bidding low to slowly whittle down an opponent, spending eight dice rolls getting some bonus every time you do anything, etc)

Besides, as I've said before, if we can't discuss rules on a rules list, where can we discuss them. Not that Charles was saying we couldn't, just that we shouldn't get heated.

Keith