Re:augmented obscenity

From: moonbroth <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:19:32 -0000

Christian asked:

> I have a clue what a logarithm is, but i dont see it in this case.

Because the ability scale is non-linear (see the Wealth rules or the Community Support ratings for evidence), a +4 augment to an ability of 15w4 is worth *significantly* more than a +4 augment to an ability of 15.

But in the Hero Wars rules, the level of the ability being augmented isn't taken into consideration: only the level of the augmenting ability and the difficulty of the bonus you're trying for.

Also, allowing heroes to try for a +4 augment plus a +4 augment plus a +4 augment plus... (etc.) becomes distorting, as the later augments have *exponentially* greater effect, given what they're building on.

Given this, we're now seeing proposals to link the difficulty of augments to the target number of the ability being augmented, and/or to limit the cumulative effect of augments (either by restricting the maximum number, making them progressively harder/less effective, or waving our hands and throwing in towels).

Does that help?

Cheers, Nick