Re: Returning briefly to the hot topic before last...

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:55:07 +0800

> > IMG devotion requires sacrifice, not just doing your job. As I have
>> said before Glorantha has deites for most jobs, if all that were
>> required was to do your job, devotion would not be a sacrifice.
>
>I'm not aware of having claimed that devotion is equivalent to just
>doing your job; in fact I've clearly maintained the reverse. What
>I find unlikely is that it's _incompatible_ with doing your 'job' (i.e.
>this notion of Barntar devotees too busy with "devotee stuff" to
>plow a field, Starkval guys unable to be weaponthanes, etc).
	I concur with Alex. It makes Gloranthan sense.
	The opposite situation is amusing at least. Becoming a
devotee then gets like being moved to management, with all the ramifications - Gloranthan equivalents of the Peter Principle and such.

> > IMG nothng is free, everything comes at a price. TANSTAFL (There
>> Ain't No Such Thing As a Free Lunch).

        There is a price - there is a huge constraint on your freedom, and you have great responsibility. This may not make you that unhappy (anyone willing to become a Barntar devotee in the first place is presumably willing to do a lot of plowing), but its still a serious price. There are also mythic prices to pay for many types of devotee.

        But I don't think, even if you did support the basic premise, that it necessarily follows that the price can only take the form of unproductive time. Various sources would strongly suggest otherwise.

> To think otherwise is to be a
>> God Learner.
>
>No, merely a fully paid up Heinlein Skeptic.

        I'm a life member. Official club at the ready for any sign of incest discussion.

	Cheers
		David