Robin's Laws

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 04:07:45 +0800

        Anyone picked up this little book, Robins book about good game mastering?

        Much of the content is probably common sense to experienced game masters, but its still worth reading, if only to forcibly remind yourself of common sense things like 'run the sort of game that your players enjoy playing not just the sort you enjoy running' and 'know your players likes and dislikes and play style'.

        He does have some interesting comments in his section on play balance about choice of rules. He does comment on HW, which gives you an idea how Robin perceives the game he designed.

        Its interesting that he certainly doesn't consider it the best system for all groups, but rather as one end of a 'continuum of crunchiness'. A game for storytellers, very unsuited for powergamers (Robin uses neither description pejoratively).

        Its interesting in light of the augment thread, too. We all seem to agree with Robins description of HW as a game where the Gm has control over the game, and very much a storyteller system. We don't all seem to agree with Robins simple characterisation of HW as a game in which all abilities are effectively equal in rules terms.

	Cheers
		David