Re: Augments, Harrek et al

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:38:53 +0100 (BST)

The Hero Wars has a section called Describing Magic that gives suggestions on the visible effects of magic. Generally people using magic are surrounded by a glow, weapons look larger etc. The artist wanted page talks about heroes being in the 'hero light' with obvious physical effects from the power ups. The Describing magic section indicates that some people can guess what type of magic a person is using from the look of their hero light.

Read 'Morden Defends the Camp' in Gloranthan Visions if you have it. That is a good example of the ritually prepared hero meeting his enemies. Note how his enemies are able to discern that Morden is magically boosted "Seven magics, and maybe some more, dance upon his arms." Maybe Recognize Foe rolls would be good here. The prince's words are equally important: "The prince, watching this, said, "This man is greater than I am today. He has been preparing for weeks, I see, probably since the Sacred Time. I will remember his name, and come back when we're equally prepared." A ritually prepared hero is a TOUGH opponent - you take him on by being prepared yourself or attacking him under different circumstances or time.

In prepared situations our group tends to use rituals to prepare instead of succesive augments. The book does make suggestions for the bonuses such rituals should offer - though these numbers can really stack up if performed on the right day - but in this context you are drawing a lot of power from the other side. However the more ritually enhanced a person is - the more I might expect him to react in a mythically appropriate way to maintain the magic (IMO similar to the identity challenge concept, but think of real world prohibitions for people in a ritual state). Also note that while the mechanics for rituals before heroquesting use carryover the admonition that it is difficult to pull out without adverse consequences if they fail is equally applicable, IMO, to rituals conducted in this world.

As for Harrek - killing him is a story. It is not about 'my numbers are better than his' it is about the time, the place the circumstance, and the long series of events that leads to that confrontation.

Finally I would resist any system that makes the calculation of augments more complex. The same people that argue that multiple augments are boring seem to be arguing that we make the process even harder. Stick wit a simple resistance calculation or automatic augments as per BA.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)

"They were seven in all, and therewithal both sides rushed into the fight. Thorarin slew a house-carle of Thorbiorn's, and Alfgeir another, and there fell also a housecarle of Thorarin's; but no weapons would bite on Odd Katlason. Now the goodwife Aud calls out on her women to part them, and they cast clothes over the weapons." The Story Of The Ere-Dwellers Chapter 18

Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com