Re: Re: Automatic augments: no more ranks?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:06:51 +0100

simon_hibbs2 wrote:
> *Double Take* You like this _because_ it makes magic weapons
> pointless?

My suggest rule does not make them pointless. It represents mundane and magical equipment in the same way. A mundane item, or magically weak item, can become a powerful magic item through the expenditure of an appropriate (and fair) number of HPs.

> We already _have_ rules for enchanting things. Changing the way
> exceptional equipment is handled would also require a rewrite of
> the enchantment rules, which IMHO are fine and unbroken so far
> as I can tell.

I'd be interested in hearing about actual uses of the enchantment rules. I remember on reading them that I thought they seemed broken, so I've ignored them ever since. Do they work OK?

> Why not just have rules for writing enchanted
> items into character descriptions?

My suggestion does that. In a medium power campaign, a warrior starts with a Weapon 17 (giving a ^3), but the player could choose to start with Weapon 1W (giving a ^4 -- a 2H sword, perhaps) or a Weapon 5w (giving a ^5 -- an enchanted weapon).