Re: Automatic augments: no more ranks?

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:31:32 -0000

> I once spent a HP to cement the benefit of some metal armour my
> character looted, yet this has almost never been useful to her in a
> contest. The rules explicitly encourage you to ignore equipment, but
> require you to spend HPs to cement equipment. That is not a 'fair'
HP
> cost: spent HPs should provide benefits.

I don't think "fairness" was a particular design priority for HW. You could spend a HP on cementing a relationship to a neighbouring clan then have to flee to Pavis next session and never meet another member of that clan for the rest of the game, is that fair? Some HP expenditure will have more relevance to the rest of the game than others, initially this concerned me but since then I've learned to relax and just do what is enjoyable and fun without worrying about it. (How often my Humakti will get value for money from his Knack with Flowers is questionable, he has it because I think its a fun quirk for a death-wielding warrior to have).

You cement equipment so that you can replace it when you lose it, even if you have no visible means (wealth, relationship, patron) to do so. In some cases it really is little more than character flavour (like that Knack with Flowers) but is that such a bad thing?

--
Nic