Re: Automatic augments: no more ranks?

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:20:47 -0000

Presumably factoring in magical enchantment abilities some way?

> I'd be interested in hearing about actual uses of the enchantment
> rules. I remember on reading them that I thought they seemed broken,
> so I've ignored them ever since. Do they work OK?

One of the characters in my game has used them once to create a magical pendent that removes specific memories from people, when used in the traditional "You're feeling sleepy" mode. Basicaly it costs 2 HP and allows you to enchant an augment (any kind of augment) or an ability into an object, with an increased resistance depending on the material, but which can be mittigated by use of the ritual rules. I suppose since the ritual rules are a bit shakey the enchantment rules are weakened by association, but they seem basicaly sound so far as they go.

I suppose you could use these rules as-is with your system, back-calculating the bonus a weapon's Ability rating gets from the augment enchanted into it. E.g. enchanting it with a ^3 augment woudl increase it's weapon ability by +15. However I don't think that's always appropriate. The ^3 magical edge might be enchanted into it using trol-fighting magic, and only apply against trolls, for example.

> My suggestion does that. In a medium power campaign, a warrior
starts
> with a Weapon 17 (giving a ^3), but the player could choose to start
> with Weapon 1W (giving a ^4 -- a 2H sword, perhaps) or a Weapon 5w
> (giving a ^5 -- an enchanted weapon).

I'm sure this can be made to work, but there are many factors that would need accounting for. For example, it costs 5 HP to raise an ability enough to get another ^1 edge - not very good value. You'd need to factor in magical enchantment abilities (maybe they allow you to get more that +1 ability per HP somehow?). How does using Smithing abilities to make superweapons work? etc.

Simon Hibbs