Re: Automatic augments: no more ranks?

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:51:13 -0000

> The trick to the weapons and armour rules is that they were
> designed so that if its unimportant to the narrative, you can
ignore
> them completely. Just 'yes, everyone is heavily armoured, its all
> rank 5, it all cancels out'. If you really want to make the weapon
> and armour rules simpler, its that easy.

Only one of my players squealed about it a bit, but in the end I think everyone accepts it's a very decent way to resolve the problem.

> Assuming that most peoples weapons are appropriate for the
> situation is pretty decent. Notable magic weapons are better off as
> abilities, that can be used to augment when it seems appropriate,
and
> used for other more interesting things when the narrative deems it
> appropriate.

Why not refer to the enchantment rules for magical weapons? As I understand it, you can enchant objects with permanent augments. Of course it's much harder than streightforward on-the-spot augments, and so enchanted augments will tend to be lower than spontaneous ones, but that's all to the good.

In fact, thinking about it, the availability of enchantment as a route to getting augments might mitigate an augment-limiting moves made in the name of game ballance ; "Yes I'm making it harder to do lots of augments in combat, but hey, you can always create enchanted weapons and get extra augments that way."

Simon Hibbs