Re: Re: Automatic augments: no more ranks?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:50:02 +0100

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:09:55 +0800, David Cake <dave_at_...> wrote:

> But the difference between items that are important to the
>narrative and that aren't is crucial.

Crucial to whom? ANY item can be made important by cementing it with a HP, or by starting with it mentioned in the writeup. What's the difference here? I will expand...

> Exactly why I don't like it! Mundane weapons are something I
>want to simply ignore most of the time.

So? No-one is going to beat you up for NOT using a weapon represented by an ability.

>>A mundane item, or magically
>>weak item, can become a powerful magic item through the expenditure
>>of an appropriate (and fair) number of HPs.
>
> Thats the case now.

And so the difference is... ?

>> In a medium power campaign, a warrior starts
>>with a Weapon 17 (giving a ^3), but the player could choose to start
>>with Weapon 1W (giving a ^4 -- a 2H sword, perhaps) or a Weapon 5w
>>(giving a ^5 -- an enchanted weapon).
>
> And it would be a big waste of points! They have spent their
>biggest ability in a way that is BOTH inefficient AND boring!

And again, SO WHAT? If you don't WANT to spend the HP, or assign the Rating, no-one is forcing you. And besides, boring TO WHOM? Anyone who wants to spend the HP can do so, anyone who doesn't keeps the same equipment they started with. It's no more a 'waste of points' than ANY narrow ability, and exactly the same as spending them on an 'important' item - by spending the points, it BECOMES 'important'.

Wulf