Re: Re: Automatic augments: no more ranks?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:24:19 +0100

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:15:00 -0000, "t_m_ellis" <tim_at_...> wrote:

>In this case though, you would be better off finding a "better"
>weapon and cementing it for a HP or 2...

I see no problem with that, in fact that was my only immediate criticism - how do you get a Greatsword? You need Greatsword 5W - buying one as an ability would only give you Greatsword 12, with a measly Rank^2! Not many people would start a character with their best ability a piece of equipment! The narrator would have to be pretty generous with directed HP and 'free' abilities for this to work - but then, as you can improve the equipment with HP, it makes it more worthwhile to BUY it with HP...

Trying for more than the Automatic Augment would reflect your knowledge of a sword's balance and dimensions, your armour's flexibility and tough spots. And would carry the chance of failure. I don't mind the idea of improving this sort of ability, it has extremely restricted use after all.

The way I see it would be this:
Current:
Close Combat 1W (Broadsword & Shield, Greatsword) Broadsword ^3
Greatsword ^5
Armour ^2
Shield ^1

New version:
Close Combat 1W (Broadsword & Shield, Greatsword) Broadsword 17
Greatsword 5W
Armour and Shield 17

Now, since you have 'Armour and Shield', but greatsword does not include a shield, you have to apply an Improvisation Modifier to your ability, lowering the default Automatic Augment to ^2...

It works, at least as easy to remember to apply as the Ranks... OK, so it's yet ANOTHER Augment, but it's only replacing Ranks.

You know, I really DO like this... I know we just agreed to double all weapon/armour Ranks for our campaign, Andrew Graham, but have a think about this instead :-)

Wulf