Re: Re: Pointless abilities

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:09:44 -0700 (PDT)

Furthermore, the Hate Father's Killer can be used to augment other abilities. In The Princess Bride, for example, Inigo Montoya augmented his Ignore Severe Wounds with that ability to allow him to continue the fight after being gut-stabbed by The Six-Fingered Man.

Likewise, Hate Father's Killer can be reused as a Flaw, as well. Suppose that it had been necessary to knowingly work for Six-Fingered Man to get close enough to kill him. It would certainly ruin his chances if he had chanted "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die," in the job interview :-). Certainly Michael Corleone had to overcome that Flaw in the Godfather, when he had to sit down with the men responsible for the attempt on Don Vito, eating dinner with them to lull their suspicions before he could kill them. In Glorantha, an anti-Lunar clansman might be hired out to the Imperial forces by his pro-Lunar clan chieftain.

Turning the flexibility of Hero Wars into a reproduction of AD&D 1st Ed combat, with Close Combat AP just replacing THAC0, is certainly the Wrong Thing, even if it does minimmax out the best when handled by a particular Narrator.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Games - play chess, backgammon, pool and more http://games.yahoo.com/