Re: Re: Pointless abilities

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:37:03 +0100 (BST)

David Weihe:
> Furthermore, the Hate Father's Killer can be used to augment other
> abilities. In The Princess Bride, for example, Inigo Montoya augmented
> his Ignore Severe Wounds with that ability to allow him to continue the
> fight after being gut-stabbed by The Six-Fingered Man.

Possibly, but that's an unfortunate mechanic in that it only becomes much use when it gets to "obscene" levels. (Hey, make it the affinity of a one-man religion, then have an octuple (dozen) of "different" Feats: Abhore Father's Killer, Abjure Father's Killer, Abominate Father's Killer ...) Another mechanic is simply to simply use the ability directly in such cases (as RR reminded me a while back when I was comparing HW augmentation with Pendragon Inspiration (the rules for using Passions). I bet Inigo's HFK ability is a lot more notable that his Ignore Severe Wounds, anyway (if he even _has_ the latter).

Still not a perfect solution, but well worth bearing in mind.

Cheers,
Alex.