Re: Alternate ways of playing extended contests?!

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:35:37 -0000

> Turn Sequence
> 1. Actor states his hero's desired Action.
> The actor in the exchange describes what he intends to do.
> 2. Narrator decides on AP bid value
> Cooperation is in order on this, with large or excessive activities
> requiring more AP, and cautious actions requiring few.
> 3. Actor determines Target Number and the opponent the Resistance.
> Do this the same way as Simple Contests. Remember modifiers!
> 4. Die Rolls by Actor and Opponent
> 5. Success and Failure Levels are compared.
> This is done as in Simple Contests, but with the table below used to
> determine the AP results.

At this point I take it we move onto the next actor if its a group contest. So if the next actor states "Seeing my friend in trouble I abandon what I am doing and help him out with [ability]" presumably any AP lend at this point would affect the outcome and possibly avert a defeat? This would mean that the narrator has not really finished with any actor until all the actors have finished.

In the example we started with the next actor might say "seeing my friend about to get pincushioned I reach over and knock down the point of the spear with my sword" which is then resolved as an attempt to lend 10AP. The second actor has no action against his opponent but has lost AP so both situations have to be narrated.

So for the first actor it would be "your opponent tricks you, you charge into a sucker trap and only your friend's quick thinking saves you from a gutting, although maybe he only bought you a little time." for the second it might be "your quick reflexes save your friend but your opponent has taken advantage of the distraction and is pressing in hard on you".

Or have I missed something here?

--
Nic