Lending, actions, and turns.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:46:34 +0100 (BST)

Michael Schwartz:
> To an extent. I do allow players to "hold" unrelated actions, delaying
> their resolution such that their heroes may intervene to support another
> hero participating in the contest, but as far as I know this is a
> personal house rule and not the official stance.

IIRC (my spare copy of RiG is with my other copy... D'oh) you can delay your action (in principle to do anything), effectively achieving this effect. Unless someone else whaps you upside da head in the meantime, or other such inconveniences.

Stefan D:
> recently I came across the following breakdown of an extended contest,
> written by Ron Edwards in the Hero Wars forum at The Forge.
> [ http://indie-rpgs.com/forum ]

Are we in the Ninth Circle of crossposting hell yet? ;-) I admit that I haven't (and indeed for some annoying wen-related reasons, currently cannot) read this forum, but at first wink it seems astonishingly purposeless. Don't we have more than enough such fora already? Certainly too many for any real clarity of distinction of purpose.

> > 3) The final description (after AP lending, Hero Point spending, etc)
> > is the blowout moment,
> > and again, everyone's participation is welcome, it's not just the GM droning
on.
> > Here's where "what happens" is established. Let's say our spear-guy turned
out to be out of Hero Points! Shit!
> > As it stands, he's taken down to -5 by the various numbers. But a player in
the same scene says,
> > "I give you 10!" So what happens? "Whoa! It's a dogpile for a second, but
one of the foes goes 'unnnhh!' and flies off,
> > and your spear-butt's sticking up - you bopped him off. Now you bound out
of the tangle, but you're still off-balance.
> > " [I mean, the guy did lose Action Points and he only has 5; he ain't
sitting pretty.]

This requires not just that you take your action "out of sequence", but that you're allowed a lending action _after_ an action is resolved, but before it takes "effect". (Not that the "effect" of going to -5 is so drastic to necessarily matter that much, mind you.) For my money this is somewhere between the "freewheeling" and the "cheesy". ("The Sword summons up his best magic, and using the power of Death, Severs the soul from your very body!" "Hrm, that smarts. Someone lend me a few AP, please?")

> > 4) Final point: note that other players do not have to sit there and wait
while all this is going on.
> > AP lending can always get tossed in, at any stage; Augments across
player-characters are certainly permitted prior
> > to the rolls. I have found our game to be full of eager attention during one
another's rolls. Getting away from
> > the "my move," duhhhh, "my move" mode of play is a big priority in Hero
Wars.

AFAICS this is the Hero Wars in Ron Edwards' mind, not in any version of the rules I'm privy to. ;-)

Wulf:
> I'm usually not TOO strict about sequences of actions, but be careful
> you allow everyone an action, and only one, per 'turn', or the
> loudest voice will suddenly become twice as capable as the quietest!

Your caveat is not misplaced. Mind you, I think this can be "bent" somewhat; what you can do in "an action" is deliberately fuzzy, after all. If someone has an "afterthought" about what his character should have done that _could reasonably have been combined_ with what he actually did, it's not infeasible to allow it after the fact. And there's a mechanic that might be quite ready to the purpose -- charge an AP "cost" for doing so. (Again I don't have the rules to hand, so can't quote the precise precedents for this.) You'd have to exercise careful judgement as to when to allow this, and what number of AP to excise, mind you, for the sorts of reasons Wulf mentions.