Hero cults.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:18:14 +0100 (BST)

Ian Cooper:
> Storm Tribe suggests that the
> cult acts as an aspect, and not a subcult. Yet
> published cults tend to represent subcults as minor
> deities or heroes, which makes more sense to me.

Me too. A hero cult could _in principle_ be either, of course.

> For example if I wanted to worship an 'expanded'
> Alakoring Dragonbreaker, it makes more sense to me
> that it is a new subcult of one of Orlanth's aspects,
> with its own affinity and secret, not a new aspect of
> Orlanth.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "expanded" here. You mean if you wanted to emulate a hero who was himself in the "standard" Dragonbreaker subcult?

> I suppose the
> intention could be to limit you to feats/affinities
> provided by the hero and not allowing you ones from an
> aspect of the main deity, but this seems to break the
> way existing subcults, who are formed from heroes
> work.

I think you're right. "Normal" hero worship would tend to be refinements of existing subcults, not different things entirely. In game terms though, such things are likely best represented by "only" extra Feats per existing Affinities, rather than out and out separate cults.