Re: Augments and Hero Points

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:57:09 +0100

>In our group we have got into the habit of spending Hero Points on
>augmentations that don't work or could potentially have double effect.
>
>This at times has unbalanced the game, and myself and the other
>narrator in the group are considering banning this. Predictably the
>players are reluctant to let go.

How on earth is this use unbalancing? Using a hero point to ensure an augment works is going to be less effective in most cases than spending the hero point at a critical point in the contest.

Compare this to spending a hero point in a simple contest when you have a large target number (17 target number => 85% chance of a critical...) Extended contests are more complex to work out, but a large bid backed by a hero point is often an effective tactic, unless your opponent seriously outpowers you.

>Has anyone else had simmilar problems with Hero Points being spent here?

Well, I don't see it as a problem. In my experience, new players quite often spend hero points on getting good augments, then as they get used to the system they realise this is a waste of hero points, and stop. Spending hero points on improving abilities, aquiring followers, gaining criticals at crucial moments, or avoiding disasters are normally viewed as 'better value'.

>Is there an obscure rule that prohibits the expenditure for augments?

No.

>Should Hero Points be limited to heroic acts?

No. Hero Points are there because the characters are Heros, not for allowing heroic acts. One of their main uses (again, in my experience) is surviving catastrophes - "ok, you've criticalled and I've, oops, fumbled. I'll spend a hero point..." This is hardly heroic acts.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson