Re: Augments and Hero Points

From: jeffkyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 15:43:21 -0000

Not that I am aware of.

> > Should Hero Points be limited to heroic acts?

I don't think so.

> There is, AFAIK no rule that says what you can and can't spend a
hero
> point on. The acts themselves need not be heroic, but are (by
> definition!) the acts of heros. If you don't feel that you are
> getting your "narrative" moneys worth from them, you could try
asking
> that the players describe what it is that they are doing that turns
> what looked like failure into a success (or a narrow success into a
> great one) ratrher than just saying "Oh, then I'll use a Hero
Point..."

This is true.

> Be warned though that sometimes you might not want to know (Like the
> Storm Bull spending a Hero Point to ensure he wasn't humiliated in a
> "Manhood waving" contest...)

In our game, we have a Odaylan hunter who _always_ spends 2 heropoints to bump up his Bear's Strength augment (usually getting a +10 Close combat) and his Bear's Fortitude augment (usually a +20 defensive edge). Sure, it makes him really obnoxious in combat.

...but he pays 2 HP each session to do this. That's about 1/3 of the HP he gets. That's 1/3 of his growth potential.

Spending HP like water is its own reward - nothing bad ever happens to you (usually) but you also tend to fall behind your risk-taking companions.

My advice is to just let it happen.

Just my view from the stead,

Jeff