Re: HP bumps.

From: charlescorrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 09:07:00 -0000

regarding Narrator Characters having hero points

> I personally feel this is a suspect notion
> altogether... If the purpose of (PC) HPs is
> to give them overt narrative input, then what
> purpose does NPC HPs serve, given that the
> Narrator is, well, narrating anyway? My fear
> is that this could degenerate into "to thwart
> player use of HPs", or "to equalise the HP
> wargame".

My view is that a Narrator character with Hero Points should be rare but definitely should occur. One problem with player use of hero points for bumps is that players can become blase about it (oh, we won't bother to plan - if it goes wrong we can always use hero points to fix it). A narrator character with a stock of 3 hero points once in a while will fix this attitude!

Without this occasional shock, a campaign can run the risk of becoming of the Monty Haul type.

regards,
Charles