Re: Augments and Hero Points

From: orlanthumathi <orlanth.umathi_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 21:54:43 -0000

Hmm, provoked a bit of a reaction.
I am not going to quote all the relevant bits, but I love the way that these discussions fall into patterns.

To reassure all those that raged against me even considering taking away the players? toys we are discussing it rationally, its not a me versus them thing.

My point is that an augment is a mathematical game construct and as such does not lend itself to narrative.

Sure you can get the player to describe it, but that does not stop the players working out exactly how much they will attempt to augment based on their percentage chance of doubling the benefit.

In a way I am the victim of saying yes too much, we generally let the game flow, and if someone wants to augment they usually roll against the person next to them for resistance so as not to make too big a deal of it. I far prefer this to automatic augmentations, and it is a hang over from the way we used to treat spirit magic in RQ.

I suppose the problem is I can't have it both ways.

I will probably suggest that such informal augments are limited to low augments, and if they want to go for a biggy they draw my attention to it with description and "heroism", and possibly a justification. It?s the informal augments that suddenly turn into big augments that are the problem.

I guess I could also modify the resistance and not reveal the exact figure, thereby taking away the predictability of the system.

Our Groups? skills are not that high, as we are resisting the HP inflation. Highest skills are still lower than W2, apart from one exceptional character around whom the campaign loosely hangs.

I totally agree that its a good way to burn up hero points, this is not lost on me. I just think it can be a little boring. There is only so often that you can make a much used augment seem interesting, where as specific usage of hero points at key moments are always more entertaining and original.

I do of course reward the latter when it comes to awarding hero points or other things at the end, as those instances are more memorable.

Of course like all of these things I also fall into the habit, when I am playing I take great pleasure in making my flaming spear more and more impressive, but I do try to describe the effect in original ways when it works.

Jamie