Re: Re:"why not le them" (was HP bumps)

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 10:31:05 +0100

hairyorlanthi wrote:
> Since my game tends to relatively short sessions every week, and I'm trying to move from a game started at the "low" values, I did run into a situation where my PCs had many more HP than was good for the story.

and expanded:
> Sure. The problem was the tight nature of the timeline over a couple of months of the game (8 sessions or so) where I awarded HP but had only a few chances to say "OK, now you can spend HP on increases." In other words, 8 game sessions resulted in only about 10 days of game time passing.

One way of dealing with this is to bear in mind that the rules for spending HPs to increase abilities are NOT a set of 'character training rules'. Therefore, spending HPs to increase abilities does not require 'downtime', or even the passage of game world time.

In our group we usually allow expenditure of HPs at the end of every session, even if it is a multi-session episode. I believe the rules allow this (correct?). So far (IIRC), the only restriction we've decided on is that we don't allow that expenditure in the middle of a contest (that is, an extended contest for which we run out of time and have to continue next week).