Re: Narrator hero points

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 15:30:45 +0100 (BST)

Ian Coopers, inter alia:
> That is why I suspect a pool of hero points for the
narrator to draw on, on a non-character basis would not be as effective.

>You seem to imply this might have been something I
was in some way suggesting.

Not my intention. I was thinking out loud.

>Rather the contrary: my point (or question) was, why
give Narrator characters HPs _in any form whatsoever_?

And my point was hero points represent a character's ability to assert their *importance* in the story. Conan stories don't end half way to the climax when the mook warrior gets a lucky roll. Hero Points represent this situation for characters in HW, you can avoid an ignominious and un-heroic fate (but only so many times). For the same reason a *villain* can have them too, because he needs to stick around for the climax, and theat confrontation needs to show his villainy despite an ignominious die rolls. Both sides get to say, yes the game relies on a dice throw, but I'm important to the story, so I get a 'second chance'.

They are a game construct, but I think they should have an in-game description where your luck, divine favour, or whatever schtik you have carries you through.

As for Benedict's Vingan a key point in her conception, IMO, is her overconfidence and cockiness. Her use of HP rather than raising abilities reflects this quite well, because she is 'riding her luck' in a lot of situations and frequently bites off more than she can chew.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)
07970-411892 (M)
0207-337-6217 (W)