Re: Re: HP bumps.

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 00:20:30 +0100

Greetings and Salutations
2002-05-04-0015.

Benedict Adamson wrote very eloquently:
> Darran wrote:
> > I think that giving NPCs HP will allow the players' Heroes treat the
> > Narrators NPC villain to be treated like a player character i.e. with
> > respect. The villain will be able to counter the good luck or fate the
> > Heroes have
>
> You seem to be saying that it is 'unfair' (to the Narrator, I assume)
> that the players get HPs, but that NPCs don't. I don't think that
> asymmetry is at all unfair. The Narrator gets to secretly design the
> scenes, the NPCs and the sequence of scenes. The PCs have no similar
> control over the course of the game; isn't that 'unfair' (to the
> players)? Player bumps using HPs counteract that.

However the NPCs_DO_get HPs. They are a feature of the game. See page 145 of the Narrator's Book, Nrindak the Sorcerer's Apprentice has HP7 'He will run through his hero points trying to awe the heroes with early successes. The clouds and sunbeams seem to be in just the right places - until his luck runs out.'
This seems to indicate that the HPs are used for bumping rolls. I used these episodes in the Narrators Book to learn how to play the game (myself and my players) as these were the only examples available for me to use. However Jeff Kyer's 'Sheepless Nights' and Ian Cooper's 'The Cattle Raid at Ormthame Vale' are better examples, or had we just clicked with HW by then?

> When might NPC HP bumps be a 'good idea', in your opinion?
>
> * Are NPC HP bumps a good idea when the PCs have 'played well'
>[SNIP]
No they are not IMO.
I try my hardest not to punish players if they have 'played well' in fact I am the opposite: I reward players for their ingenuity, role-playing, good (lucky) die-rolling, excellent planning or even if they buy me a beer ;-).

> * Are NPC HP bumps a good idea when the NPC is 'unlucky', rolling
> badly with the PCs rolling well? I think this reasoning is more
> subtly wrong. When designing the NPC, the Narrator got to choose all
> the abilities of that NPC. She got to choose just how tough that NPC
> is, relative to the PCs. She got to choose where that NPC was on a
> continuum from always-beats-the-PCs through to
> always-looses-to-the-PCs. Probability of winning is the way that HW
> represents the intermediate points along that continuum. As I
> mentioned in an earlier post, having a stock of HPs is just like
> having a higher ability. If it seems that it is 'too easy' for the
> PCs to defeat the NPCs, having NPC HP bumps will solve this, but why
> not simply make the NPCs tougher?

I think, again all in my humble opinion as I still not had alot of experience playing HW, that NPC HP represent the reoccurring Villain of the peace[piece?]'s fluctuating power or prowess during several episodes of play. The Heroes chip away at the villain Dr Evil, removing his minions, driving him away from his first base, driving him to his secret lair, making spend his HP, and weakening him before slaying him completely: until the sequel anyway.
However I could be wrong [again]. YGMV.

> * You might have wanted the NPC to last several contest rounds (or
>[SNIP]
That is what is implied by the example from the Narrator's Book anyway. It may change in Heroquest.
I think that I am getting better at the episode design and moving away from the simulationist thinking I have been lumbered with playing RQ for 21 years. But I still have alot to learn methinks.

> * In the sources, it transpires that the Evil Bad Guys, although
>[SNIP]
Abilities can be countered by the PCs if they have the relevant ability or skill or something that tenuously can just. Dr Evil's HP will run out eventually that is a design feature but could be handled differently in game.
I must add that I haven't used NPC's HP in my own designed episodes, but only in published ones. The chances are I may never use them again and Heroquest may not use NPC HPs at all.

You have given me alot to think about before my game on Sunday.

Cheers Darran.