Re: HP bumps.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:09:21 +0100 (BST)

DD:
> As Narrator, I'd be unhappy if a player had 16 HP stocked up. Sure, I
> gave them out, but I don't really want any player to have the power
> to have the session go exactly the way they want. (As I said earlier,
> this situation has never come up in our games.)

That was the situation I was getting close to in my last game (hence my comments, and hence my "tweaks" for my current story/group. (I can't recall exactly, but I'm sure at one point almost the whole group were in the low single-digits. I don't think it was motivated by any desire to abuse the system, just uncertainty as to how "best" to use them.)

> Interesting, one could use this as a loose way to have directed
> increases: rather than saying "you have 2 HP to increase Close
> Combat" you could say "you have 2 Death Rune points," which could be
> used to increase Close Combat, other abilities related to killing
> people, or various affinities.

I was thinking more in terms of it being a matter of player choice, when they get the points, but don't want to (immediately) spend them on an ability, but that would also be a feasible option.

> In practice this may have problems of interpretation ("Ride Horse is
> too a Death ability, I'm a knight and I use it to ride down
> peasants"), but as long as Narrator and players were willing to be
> flexible, it'd work.

Tying it to Runes (standard GL crinkle-cut set, I assume) is my main reservation about the idea, actually, and would be an obvious place to make it more flexible, in an explicit way.

Picking at this thread a little more (and possibly watching it unravel)... One could allow these piles of HPs to be entirely player-described -- in which case, they start to sound more like abilities, or meta-abilities, or a distinguished type of ability. (In that one is allowing points to be "spent" form this, either on bumps or on more game-worldish abilities.)
>From which the moral is... I'm not sure.

Cheers,
Alex.