Re: Linking contests

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 09:36:52 +0100

Neil Smith wrote:
> I've been thinking about how to include generalship and the like into
> battles.

> The question is how to represent this in the Hero Wars rules. I want
> the battle to be exciting and climatic, so that should be an extended
> contest. I also want the manoeuvring before to be exciting, so I'd also
> like that to be an extended contest. The question is how to link the
> two, so that the 'generalship' contest has a large, but not quite
> overwhelming, affect on the battle.
>
> Simply using the stated outcome rules doesn't seem quite right, as most
> results are marginal or minor

[Own suggested rule snipped]

Another possibility is to have the generalship and the weapon wielding part of the same extended contest, which would start with the opponents using their generalship abilities before moving onto use of combat abilities when the sides engage. Generalship would have a sizeable effect, and determine initial APs, by virtue of being the ability used to begin the contest.