Re: Extended Advocacy

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 11:01:27 -0700

Graham Spearing

> > 3) The AP mechanic simply doesn't work with missile combat. At all. I
> > fire some arrows at my enemy and because I miss my range of possible
> > actions is reduced when he gets to me? I can even be 'defeated' because
> > I started out shooting at him before he reached me? Why?
>
> Because from the musical score and a number of well judged camera
> angles, you've given the audience the impression your a bit crap. Er,
> no. No, I can't find a way round this one :-). Help someone?!

I have to agree that missile combat is a thorny problem. In playtest versions, we essentially made it a separate contest to the ensuing melee, but I don't remember exactly how we linked the two (or whether it was simply that the archer could start with a new AP total when he switched to sword).

One of the biggest problems is that the target can't really do a whole lot. To me, it doesn't make sense to declare "I block my entire body with my shield, that's a bid of 12 AP... ha ha, I won the exchange, you're down to 0 AP and can't shoot any more." I think we said that the archer only lost AP from his own actions.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>