Re: Digest Number 42

From: Douglas Seay <dms+egroups_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:26:06 -0400

> Message: 13
> Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:30:34 -0000
> From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>
> Subject: Re: player freedom vs gloranthan norms
>
> --- In hw-rules_at_egroups.com, Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth@>
> wrote:
> > It still begs the question of how an inexperienced ref knows what
> is _not_
> > an inappropriate ability for a cult or culture.
>
> I have visions of hoards of new HW GM's going <eddie izzard voice>
> "Never allow that ability again"</eddie izzard voice>
>
> "The Rules are just general guidelines" is always very true, but they
> are also very useful when you need guidelines!
>
> It could also be tricky where the GM is more glorantha-savvy than the
> players
> "It's a great Char-gen system, you can have any ability you want"
> "Oh good, I'll be a half-orc"
> "Umm, there are no Orc's in Glorantha"
> "but there are elves, aren't there?"
> "yes..."
> "OK, I'll play a half-elf, and I'll have a flaming sword...."
>
> ... Guess that one will be an "open" campaign then...

Back in my RQ2 days, a friend suggested that everyone starts from one area, which the GM picks. If they can reasonably be in that place, it is OK. This is semi-closed for starters. From them on, any valid place that is encountered is fair game. We were all Sartarites, mostly human plus a duck. Trolls and whatnot became available as time went on. It worked for me.

This is how I plan to introduce my group to Glorantha. It is just designed to keep the PCs using what the GM has already had a chance to present. Few people would want to play a "dwarf" after meeting some non-heretical Mostali.