Re: Extended Advocacy

From: theunspokenword <hia15_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 22:47:06 -0000

A Minor Victory is equivalent to bringing someone to Hurt in the OCC. But in AP terms, it is equivalent to bringing someone to -11 to -20 AP (HW p132). In other words, *in one shot* your crossbow marksman has just taken his target out of action, unless someone is there to help him out. If he is some ordinary grunt, then I think ruling him dead seems entirely acceptable, but if he is a superior enemy, then I think it generally quite appropriate for him not necessarily to be dead but wounded - one-shot kills, after all, work both ways, and who wants their player hero taken out by some Lunar sniper?

There is also the point that the target needs to have an apprpriate skill to resist. If the sniper is firing with the advantage of surprise, then even Dodge might be penalised, and Close Combat, etc, would be hardly relevant. A DH/Hoplite/Initiate of Urvairinus with just the basic abilities provided by the keywords, has *nothing* specific to resist that crossbow bolt, so might be resisting at default 6, albeit perhaps with a bonus for armour. In this case, Crossbowman 3w3 vs Hoplite 6+3 (a kind Narrator treats the armour edge as a bons) will generally get a Major Victory (Injured/-21 AP or worse).

But the bottom line is play it how you want to play it. Personally, I prefer killing to be something you need to do up close and personal, because if heroes can kill at range more easily, so can the enemies.

All the best

Mark

Mark Galeotti