Re: Extended Advocacy

From: wulfcorbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:58:57 -0000

> Having not read / played HW I can't comment on how to penalize
parrying
> arrows. I don't know enough about the HW combat system to even say
how
> it could be resolved but if I use an RQ analogy all I really mean
is I
> would allow both dodge and parry against missle weapons.

In HW there is no Parry - although Dodge (or 'Dodge Missiles', or 'Dodge Attacks' or whatever) can be a separate ability, 'Close Combat' is a general 'fight things' skill - typical characters will have 'Close Combat (Sword & Shield, Spear & Shield, Unarmed)' or the like, meaning they can fight (attack and defend) equally well with any of these weapon combinations, less ably with others. If you wanted, you could Augment Close Combat with Dodge (representing a very nimble, mobile combat style), but there is only one defensive roll allowed.

>I may have
> required a Scan roll to see the moment of release but that is true
of
> dodge. If you dodge to a new position before the release the archer
> re-aims (minimum effort as I'm sure you know Wulf, a yard on target
is
> an inch at the bow even on a 20 yard range.)

But a good archer knows that, and will predict your movement, use the sun to block your vision, snap shoot, catch you wrong-footed, wait for a distraction...

> As a formerly keen archer I'd hate to see missle combat vanish from
good
> adventures or be wholely relegated to the work of faceless
followers.

There is no problem with the use of archery in HW, just the definition of consequences IF THE ARCHER LOSES... In HW, unlike RQ, there is a winner AND A LOSER in every contest. So what happens to the archer? In some cases (warrior closes on archer to whack him one) it's obvious, but why is a contest finished if the warrior is still at range, in the open?

Wulf