Re: simple contests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 22:08:45 -0700

Jonas

> If the Narrator has deemed it a simple contest, that means
> it's not crucial to the story

That's not the only reason to use simple contests. You can have fairly crucial story points if the scene is not very long, or you can't reasonable describe an extended contest. For example, the heroes might try to unlock the back door of an inn. This may be crucial to their plans of sneaking in (and getting into the inn may be crucial for the story), but it's hard to describe ("I wiggle my lockpick a little bit, 7 AP" ???). And it's not worth much screen time because there are other ways into the inn, and picking a lock just isn't as exciting as shinnying up a drainspout.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>