Re: Re: Demos [was: Some on topic spam]

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:54:26 -0000

> > > an ex-Grazer Vingan with a (male-only) integrated spirit... I
figure
> > as she's broken the rules of her culture, she's NOT breaking the
> > rules of a Moderate campaign...

> I'd say she's breaking the rules for a moderate campaign, if only
for
> the cultural rules. But I could be a bit on the harsh side.
Well, I certainly agree she's broken the cultural rules, but that's the point of her character! She always wanted to be a warrior, and found a Shaman sympathetic enough to break the rules and allow her to integrate a warrior's spirit (must work out what happened to the Shaman...). Shortly after, her Clan chief had enough of her, and sent her off to be married into another Clan (and the best of luck to them), when her escorts were ambushed by 'bandits' (actually my old RQ2 characters), and she joined them.

Now, although SHE broke the rules, did I? I'm not saying 'I know it's wrong, but I want it anyway!', I'm saying 'She broke the rules, with some help, and escaped punishment by joining a culture that allowed her to live the way she wanted to'. Heroes rarely live by the rules of the common man, a truly Closed campaign would be severely limited in choices.

> I prefer to err on the side of caution. Once given, I almost never
take
> soemthing back from players.

Agreed, the referee has to live with his own booboos. But I allow some leniency, as long as it's in character.

> I am and have run several demos but I suspect this is not terribly
> useful to you.

Not unless you're in Glasgow...

Wulf